Today’s post is a little different, I’ve been wanting to do this one for a while. A lot of you may be able to relate, and a lot of you may just be curious about the ins and outs of a LDR (yeah, I’m too lazy to type the whole thing out) if so, then carry on scrolling.
- This one is quite obvious, but I’m going to jump right in and say it how it is, LDRs are hard work. Not necessarily in a bad way, but missing someone when there is an ocean between you, and it’s not like you can apparate (can you tell I’ve been reading Harry Potter lately?), is actually quite hard work.
- There are a lot of ridic late nights involved. Now, for someone who LOVES sleep, not getting enough is comparable to the end of the world. Falling asleep whilst talking is not uncommon… it’s always great to wake up to nearly being strangled by your headphones (not fun).
- Now, because of missed calls, time difference, and because you just simply cannot say all that you are feeling over a phone, frustration and misunderstanding just crops up. This isn’t the case for us all the time, but sometimes things go unsaid, and we end up interpreting meanings that don’t even exist. It’s pretty crappy when this happens, but once we talk it out (which can take a while), it’s clear that these things are quite minor.
- Since being in a LDR, me and my phone have a special relationship. It’s glued to me all the time (there is a total panic when the battery gets to the 20% stage) because right now, it’s the love of my life (sadly, Siri does not return these feelings).
- We have come so far in terms of technology, but there seems to be no solution to a lagging connection. I mean, we have wireless headphones now, so why do I still have to put up with that irritating beeping sound every single time I make a call. My mum is not a fan of my outbursts every 30 seconds when the wifi decides to take a break.
- Different time zones and busy schedules means double effort at communicating with one another. This means making sure you make time for each other despite having a lot going on – even if it’s just sending a quick message to say you’re busy (trust me, this makes a HUGE difference).
- Selfies. This one is pretty important. The media section on my Whatsapp is just full of selfies (there are A LOT) and the snapchat dog filter tends to feature quite a bit. I don’t think there is ever a bad time for a quick snap (any excuse to take selfies right?)
- The best thing is, that despite being away from each other for what seems like a lifetime, it never seems like you’ve been apart for long and all the effort seems so worth it. Awwww.
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this post, I know I had a lot of fun writing it. If any of you are in a LDR (or have ever been in one), then comment down below because I would love to hear about your experiences.